Monday 6 October 2008

VC, End of season and the winter months.

Well the big news is I have been made the Vice Captain of team Tenzing by the committee of the Everest Test, I will be there to support Haydn as the Main man. This was out of the blue for me and an utterly awesome surprise. I am well and truly inspired by the whole expedition; and how some many people have played their part and continue to help the cause. We are going from strength to strength and by adding the team captains and vices this can only help Wes and Kirt.

To be honest I am not even in the top half best cricketers in our squad and as I live outside the smoke and have very little corporate activity through work(Police) I didn't think I had much of a chance of being a leader on the expedition. But the more I'm involved and throwing my skills into the collective ring the more I realise the mammoth undertaking this trip has become and that everyones input is required. My knowledge of fitness, training, walking and the people involved togther with my teamworking are why i'm there and will now be put to the test and i want to step up my efforts.

We had a fantastic game in Sheen Park to celebrate the two teams coming togther on the field and Hillary were given a thorough drubbing by ourselves. With my Uni mate Jules being made Vice for the oppo and having him caught and bowled was a special moment!!!!! But bewteen now and when we play the game at Gorak Shep we our one expedition and I hope all 30 players make it up for the game and look forward to getting to know the Hillary lads and trektators a whole lot better.

So, the end of season is here and the winter months of training are not far away it will be getting harder but i'm confident everyone is aware of how hard our task is and that the majority are working hard to get themselves ready. Well we'll find out 3 weeks yesterday when on top of Ben Nevis at 6 in the morning.

Cheers to Wes and Kirt for the chance to be Tenzing Vice Captain. Bye for now.

1 comment:

Zooby said...

well done Gareth! I hope you like what I did with the photos you sent. Or are you not coming? I can't remember... Zoobs